Together we’ve given away $3,868 in our first two months! And we’ve done GOOD in 27 states and 5 countries so far (who loves ya – the Midwest does!)
This is where we track the running total of everything the Rockstar Community Fund has accomplished to date – we promise you’ll leave with a little more faith in humanity ;)
(And if you like what we’re doing here and want to get involved, we’d love to have you!)
Complete Results For January 2017
Total #GivingCards Sent Out For Mission #2 – A Financial Boost: 30
Total Financial GOOD Done From Cards: $1,620 and rising!
Total Financial GOOD Done From Other Projects: $313
Featured #GivingCards Stories In January 2017:
This was a rough month for card logistics, guys. Long story short, we had a major problem with a trusted helper that took us virtually the entire month to resolve. Ultimately we did get it fixed, but we want you to be aware that the #GivingCards results for January are going to be coming in at the end of February (along with actual February’s cards), so check back for more then. In the meantime, I can tell you that our cards made it all the way around the world again this month, up to the Netherlands, and down to Australia! And we had our first example of a complete stranger seeing the GC results and doing their own thing to give back. It was a copycat act of charity (which we love)! To see more detail on any of the stories pictured below, just check out the Mission #2 Highlight Page.
- Remember how Sarah mobilized her friends and turned her little $20 #GivingCard into over $300 for middle-school kids’ lunches last month? Well, this month an anonymous family in the next town over donated $1,000 to pay off lunch debts for 75 high school kids!
- Our own J. Money AND our Australian giver got a chance to truly interact with people who are usually ignored
- One very young worker in Indiana was rewarded for going above and beyond
- One of our members helped a family buy necessities after a devastating house fire
See full accounts of all these stories and more at the Mission #2 Highlight Page.
Other Project Results For January 2017:
- Incubator of Good – “The School of Rock Your Money: Mo’ Money, No Problems” — Our latest project funded via our “Incubator of Good” initiative :) Financial blogger Primal Prosperity had been thinking about putting together an introductory workshop to help kids develop a positive and healthy relationship with money. After talking with us about RCF’s Incubator of Good project, she decided to move forward with her class, and we funded 50% of the first one (and also helped her come up with a mechanism to build some giveback ideas for the kids into the class itself). You can read more about how it all went here on her site: What Should We Teach Kids About Money?
- #DebtDrop – We gave $150 to help someone burdened with undeserved debt
- Emergency Fund – We contributed $100 to support someone in our community going through some pretty horrible abuse
January 2017 Favorite Quotes:
“I don’t think Andrew understood the feeling that he conveyed from me on Saturday. I know as a writer (even an amateur one) that I should be able to put it in words, but I do not believe I can. Simply amazing. It is great to help people out and even better to help them out directly.
I plan on helping more people out throughout the year (we have some pretty big plans for a family in the upcoming months).
I want to thank you all of the FIRE bloggers for allowing me to be in such a great community of people. You inspire me. When I am not sure about this blogging venture I have taken upon, it is the people and the ideas like the Rockstar Community Fund that make me realize what great people are still out there.
You all are amazing.
Thank you” – IH
“My friend came back to talk for another 15 minutes with me. I think just talking one-on-one for awhile was possibly more rewarding to him than the money. Then, get this – he said, “How can I help out with what you guys are doing? I’ve been wanting more positive stuff in my life and this is just amazing.”
This is when you know you’ve given it to the right person. When THEY need it more than anyone else, but one of their first thoughts is about how they can pay it forward… man… my heart!
Can I just quit all my work and just give out these cards all day long???” – J. Money
Complete Results For December 2016
Total #GivingCards Sent Out For Mission #1 – An Unexpected Gift: 50
Total Financial GOOD Done From Cards: $1,735 and rising!
Total Financial GOOD Done From Other Projects: $200
Featured #GivingCards Stories In December 2016:
We really had no idea what to expect this month – we just had what we thought was a cool idea, and hoped that the community would think so too and jump on board with us. And you guys did not disappoint – in fact, so many people gave above and beyond the $20 we provided that we almost doubled our money! Our very first RCF month ever saw the #GivingCards travel to half the states in the Union (including the White House, how cool is that?), one Canadian province, and even halfway around the world to India! To see more detail on any of the stories pictured below, just check out the Mission #1 Highlight Page.
- Against all odds and expectations, we actually got three cards into the White House Executive Offices, and even onto a coffee table right outside the Oval Office itself!
- One giver turned her $20 card into over $300 for middle-school kids’ lunches
- Speaking of kids, even the little ones got involved, giving love to their mentors!
- A body pillow was custom-made for a grieving widow, using shirts from her late husband
- Cards were personally delivered to those who needed a little extra help
- One store owner split hers into $5 parts and hid them around her store for children to find, so they could get a small present for a sibling or parent
- A #GivingCard helped make a refugee’s resettlement house feel a little more like home
- SO many simple (and lovely) extra gifts were given both to loved ones and to strangers this holiday season
See full accounts of all these stories and more at the Mission #1 Highlight Page.
Other Project Results For December 2016:
- #DebtDrop – We surprised someone experiencing depression from debt with a gift of $100 to help pay down some of it and offer up hope for the day
- Emergency Fund – We contributed $100 to Athena’s fundraising campaign to help her kick cancer’s ass
December 2016 Favorite Quotes:
“It is addictive! I donate and volunteer for various non-profits, but giving on a personal level feels different. It all feels good, but seeing another person’s face light up like that is priceless.” – Amanda
“I’m crying at my desk. 43 families helped. Man. It’s been a rough year, and things like this make me feel like everything just might be okay after all.” – Sarah
“It’s hard for me to talk about, but the truth is that I haven’t been as generous as I would have liked in 2016 . . . but the Giving Card reminded me that I don’t want to live in the past. I want to move into 2017 with generosity in my heart and help people who are experiencing hardships in whatever way I can. Thank you for the reminder, Rockstar <3” – Taylor
“He was almost done with the work when I thought of the card in my pocket. I pulled it out and my wife instantly agreed that this was the correct recipient. I gave him the card and explained that I was part of a group of people looking for those to whom we could bestow a gift. He almost cried and his only response was “I needed this.” So here’s to Henry, from somewhere in Mississippi, who may feel like he received a lovely gift, when I know it was really me who was blessed.” – Steve