When we started talking about becoming an Incubator of Good here at the RCF, we needed a new project to officially kick it off.
Nate had been playing with the idea of turning the traditional charity model on its head, where instead of asking for money, we’d give you money to give away yourself, and after our initial test took off in a big way, we decided to make it our flagship project. Nate continues to lead the team today, and here’s what The #GivingCards Project is about:
Every month we assign a mission to go out and create unexpected joy in your own community for $20 or less. We provide a new theme each time (give an unexpected gift, make a child smile, etc), but how you choose to use your time, money, and creativity is totally up to you. Every month we see dozens of unique, creative, personalized stories of all the ways you guys have decided to give back – it’s always so inspiring to read!
To help you carry out your mission, we supply a limited number of #GivingCards (VISA $20 prepaid cards) each month. These are available to everyone on a first-come, first served basis. When you sign up to receive a card, we will send it to you in the mail that week, but only if you promise to do GOOD with it and then share the story with the rest of us. Simple as that!
Total GOOD done so far: $6,218
- December 2016: $2,015 worth of Good done! We gave out our first 50 #GivingCards as a test run and were BLOWN AWAY by how our community not only used them to make an impact in their worlds, but also by how many of them amplified the $$$ to reach even farther! And speaking of going far, we saw our cards travel to half the states in the Union (including the White House – wow!), a Canadian province, and even halfway around the world to India. To say we were thrilled would be an understatement :) You can see how it all went down in our summary page here.
- January 2017: $1,845 worth of Good done! The amount of love – and money – shared this time around continued to be amplified, as we gave out a total of 30 #GivingCards in Jan and saw them make it all the way around the world again up to the Netherlands and down to Australia. Our commmunity keeps on inspiring! Summary report can be found here.
- February 2017: $760 worth of Good done! This month we gave out 29 #GivingCards in total, and our cards hit London for the first time as well as a cross-country road trip just after a cross-country flight (cool!), and were given out as love to friends, family, children, and even some Valentine’s Day action :) You can check out the summary of this month’s goodness here.
- March 2017: $1,054 worth of Good done! This month we gave out 35 #GivingCards in total, as we asked people to create some unexpected joy with or for the people they work with, and it was so cool to see all the results coming in from offices and work sites all over the country . . . and we even saw our first gift make it up to Scotland, a stone’s throw away from a castle! :) You can check out the summary of this month’s goodness here.
- April 2017: $394 worth of Good done! This month we asked people to create some unexpected joy for absolutely anyone they wanted, with no restrictions. We added four more states to the map and saw good done for kids, the homeless, animal friends, and more! You can check out a summary of this month’s goodness here.
Our Awesome Partners:
Thanks to those organizations who have supported #GivingCards!
(Check out the impact from partnering with Qoins here)